Makaylee

Kaiden

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

People, I got sleep!

That is right, I got one night reprieve from my two week of exhausted existence. For over two weeks I have been having a sleeping war with Kaiden. We have done pick up/ put down and moved on to cry it out. Kaiden has been successfully putting himself to sleep, but he does not stay asleep. He goes to bed between 7:30 and 8 every night and is up to eat at 11. I would feed him at 11 and we would fight from then until 4:30 or 5 because I refused to feed him. So during that time he decided he NEEDED his paci at all times. But Kaiden pretty much stinks at hand to mouth so far, so he was waking me up every 30 min to an hour to replace the binkie. That was not working. I tried to get rid of the paci, but he was screaming and then sucking on anything he could get near his mouth. So I gave him the paci and he passed out. So now I am going in after he is asleep and removing the pacifier.

So needless to say I have not slept for longer than 1-2 hours at a time for two weeks. My husband left me to sleep in the guest bedroom. Some night it is a quick get up, replace binkie and get back in bed. Some nights it is a never ending scream fest for up to two hours. I have been walking around in an exhausted coma for the past two weeks. Lets not forget that he was not sleeping longer than 3 hours at a time before that. It is a sad time when you can look back fondly at your sons days in the NICU because that is the last time in 7 months you have gotten a decent night sleep. Before the NICU stay I was pregnant, so I basically have not slept well since Makaylee's first birthday.

Anyway. last night I took half a unisom and went to bed at 10. Kaiden woke up at 11, and I gave him his paci, then he slept until 3:30! I fed him and put him back in his crib where he slept until 6:45. At that point I pulled him in bed with me and he slept on and off the boob until 8:30 when makaylee woke up. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, sleep. I will take it!

No comments: