Makaylee

Kaiden

Thursday, February 21, 2008

There is hope for sleep!

Kaiden was diagnosed with silent reflux today. Basically it is acid reflux in infants except he is missing the main symptom which is throwing up. The reason he doesn't throw up is because he throws up, but swallows the puke before it comes out. This is worse than normal acid reflux because the acid burns on the way up and on the way down. Luckily, the DR perscribed baby Zantac. So we started that today, and I HOPE that this helps. Kaiden has not been a very happy baby when he is awake, and we thought it was gas, but I have cut out a bunch of things from my diet to try and reduce the gas, and that didn't work. I thought maybe he was sensitive to what I was eating because feeding times were becoming a battle to get him to eat. So I went to very bland food, and we were still having issues. This led us to the silent reflux diagnosis. It could take up to a week or so for the medication to make a difference. We are hoping for some better sleep, as right now Kaiden doesn't sleep for more than 2-3 hour stretches at night, and a 30-45 min stretch during the day if that. The Zantac unfortunatly does not stop the actual refluxing, but it reduces the acid in it so that it doesnt burn as much, if at all. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

1 comment:

onlinesmarty said...

hi sarah! thanks for posting an entry about your daughter's acid reflux. my niece also has the same disease. Im linking your entry to my blog on infancy acid reflux. Again thanks for sharing..

http://www.acidrefluxinbabies.blogspot.com/