Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Makaylee's hospital stay

Last weekend Makaylee had her first hospital stay. :( For those who haven't heard it, here is the story:

Makaylee had been teething and cranky all week. We put her to bed Saturday night and she was perfectly fine. She was totally normal all day long. At 12:30 she woke up screaming. I ran into the room and she had thrown up all over herself. I started stripping her and took her into the bathroom and Mike came running. She felt really hot so we took her temperature and it was at 106.0 We freaked. Mike called the DR while I cleaned her up with a wash cloth. The nurse took our info and said she had to contact the DR to call us back. After getting Makaylee cleaned up and running a cool wash cloth over her we got her fever down to 104.4. So we decided to leave and go to the hospital.

We got triaged really quickly and they took her temp at 103.6 and gave her a rectal tylenol. Then we waited almost an hour to get back to see the doctor with her screaming and miserable pretty much the whole time. The DR saw us and said she had an infection with a fever that high so we just had to find out where. They had to do a catheter to get a urine sample, draw blood, put in an IV, get chest x-rays. It was HORRIBLE. We had to have 2-3 people to hold her down for almost everything and she just screamed the whole time. The test results started coming back and she has a urinary tract infection. We started to relax until the DR said in infants her age it required IV medication and they had to find the cause so we were looking at a 1 to 2 day hospital stay. Thank goodness the UTI is the only infection she had and they immediatly started her on Antibiotics and fluid through the IV. By sunday evening her fever was down to between 100-101. The DR contemplated sending us home that night, but decided against it. She had to get an ultrasound done on her kidneys and bladder. The 3 possible causes of a UTI in a child her age are a kidney deformality, a kink in one of the tubes connecting the kidney and the bladder, or bacteria from a BM got into her urethra. We had the ultrasound on Monday, but not until 6:00 at night, so we didn't get home until later Monday evening. Makaylee's fever is gone, and we were sent home with antibiotics. She is feeling much better.

We had a follow up with our pediatritian on Thursday. She said she wants to have a test run on Makaylee to check to see if she has Kidney reflux. She likes to do it on every child that has a UTI under the age of 3. If she does have kidney reflux and it is not treated then her kidney's could fail. So here is a link to a website for kidney reflux info:

Here is a link for the test that she has to have done:

Our pediatrician said that the test is not pleasant and we have to get it done at the childrens hospital in Seattle. She also has to have it done with her daughter next month because she just got over a UTI. Her daughter is 6 months younger than Makaylee. So we have some time before the test, but I am not looking foward to it.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Hi there, I came across your blog and just wanted to say that you shouldn't be too worried about the kidney reflux. Two of my three kids have it (well my 4 year old doesn't anymore, he grew out of it) and it hasn't been too bad. It can not be fun for sure but it rarely ever leads to kidney failure anymore. If you have any questions I'd be happy to listen. Not that I'm a doctor obviously but I mean from a mom's perspective.